Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yields: 4 servings
Description[edit | edit source]
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- (1) 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, or more if needed
- 1 envelope Fleischmann's® Pizza Crust Yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup very warm water (120 degrees to 130 degrees F)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 ounces Italian sausage
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Italian Herb Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Pizza sauce (or substiute Marinara sauce)
Directions[edit | edit source]
1. Combine 1 cup flour, undissolved yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add warm water and oil; mix well until blended (about 1 minute). Gradually add enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Dough should form a ball and will be slightly sticky. (Note: Be sure to knead on a floured surface, adding additional flour if necessary. Dough should be smooth and elastic after about 4 minutes). Cover and allow dough to rest on floured surface while preparing filling.
2. Cook sausage in skillet over medium-high heat until thoroughly cooked. Remove from skillet and drain excess fat. Add spinach and water to skillet; sauté 1-2 minutes until spinach is wilted; drain. Return sausage to pan.
3. Combine ricotta, mozzarella, and egg in a mixing bowl. Stir in Italian herb seasoning, crushed red pepper and garlic salt; set aside.
4. To make calzones: divide dough into four portions. Roll 1 portion into an 8-inch circle on a floured surface. Spread approximately 1/3 cup ricotta mixture in center bottom half of dough. Top with heaping 1/3 cup sausage and spinach mixture. Be sure to leave outer ½-inch free of filling. Fold top half of dough over filling.
5. Pull edge of lower crust over top, folding and pressing layers together to form a seal. Carefully transfer to a greased baking sheet. Cut 3 to 4 vents in top. Repeat with remaining dough. Bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly browned.
6. Transfer calzone(s) to cooling rack to keep bottom crust crisp while cooling slightly. Serve with pizza sauce or other sauce for dipping.