Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Yields: 4 servings
Description[edit | edit source]
Get ready to add another recipe to your "comfort food" category. Mouthwateringly cheesy, these potatoes are sure to get your family to crowd around the table. You'll only have to yell, "dinner!" Once. You'll see.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 4 russet potatoes, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 onion, sliced into rings
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
Directions[edit | edit source]
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter a 1 quart casserole dish.
2. Layer 1/2 of the potatoes into bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Top with the onion slices, and add the remaining potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. In a medium-size saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Mix in flour and salt, and stir constantly with a whisk for one minute. Stir in milk. Continue cooking until mixture has thickened. Stir in cheese all at once, and continue stirring until melted, about 30 to 60 seconds. Pour cheese over the potatoes, and cover the dish with aluminum foil.
4. Bake 1 1/2 hours in the preheated oven.
5. Allow to cool at least 10 minutes before serving.